Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire Damage Tips from SERVPRO of Central Oklahoma City
Fire damage can be extensive to both the structure of your property and your personal belongings within your property. Here are some quick tips to utilize before our SERVPRO of Central Oklahoma City team arrives. Your safety is absolutely always of the utmost important. After making sure you are in a safe space as well as the other people affected by the fire, remember that your belongings maybe severely damaged. Water damage is also likely when dealing with fire damage because of the extinguishing water. Be sure to call our professionals as soon as you can as time is always of the essence.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (405) 252-9400
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.